Sleep....we all need more of it don't we? When I coach clients or just chat with friends we all talk about how tired we are but we seem to just accept it for what it is or not make it a priority to get more Z's. But let me tell you, sleep is one of the most important things for your body! Getting adequate sleep is linked to to so many functions of the body including supporting your microbiome ( which is all the trillions of bacteria that live in your gut). The ramifications are both physical and mental.
During sleep your body repairs and renews your heart and blood vessels. This is why lack of adequate sleep over time is linked to heart disease, kidney disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, and stroke.
Lack of sleep can also affect your weight because it regulates how your body reacts to insulin causing higher than normal blood sugar levels.
Other areas affected are the tissues and cells that repair during sleep and the bodies ability to maintain a strong immune system. The brain is hindered as well because during rest it is developing new pathways and preparing you to learn new things each day.
So how can we make sleep more of a priority in our ever busy lives? Here are a few suggestions:
- Get regular exercise during the daytime hours.
- Avoid heavy meals before bed. In fact, stop eating at least 3-4 hours before bed.
- Limit screen time 30 minutes -1 hour before bed.
- Make your bedroom dark and cool.
- Take an epsom salt ( offer a good source of magnesium which is super calming) bath with calming essential oils.
- Put a diffuser by your bed with essential oils in it.
- Listen to a guided meditation for sleep ( I love an app on my phone called Abide ).
Essential Oil Recommendations
Diffuse calming essential oils, such as Lavender or Bergamot, before bedtime to create a relaxing atmosphere. dōTERRA Balance, Breathe, Cilantro, Clary Sage, Melissa, Sandalwood, dōTERRA Serenity, Thyme, and Roman Chamomile, are all great oils to diffused to promote peacefulness. Alternately, they can also be taken internally to soothe your body and improve sleep.
Serenity essential oil applied to the back of the neck, chest and feet and take 2 Serenity Softgels.
Epsom Salt bath with 5 drops Patchouli, 2 drops Wild Orange and 1 drop Frankincense. Soak 15-20 minutes.
Sleep 10 ml Roller Bottle Blends:
- 20 drops Serenity, 10 drops Vetiver and 10 drops Wild Orange. Fill the rest of the roller with a carrier oil ( Fractionated Coconut Oil is my first choice).
- 3 drops each Juniper Berry, Balance, Vetiver, Patchouli and Ylang Ylang.
Bedtime "Tea": Make chamomile tea and add 2 drops lavender with a little organic stevia.
Let me know if this was helpful info. Or you would like a free 30-minute chat to figure out some things that can help you individually.